Chung Chi College was founded in October 1951 by the representatives of Protestant Churches in Hong Kong to fill the need for a local institution of higher learning that would be both Chinese and Christian. In 1955 it was formally incorporated under an ordinance of the Hong Kong Government.
The College had a very modest beginning with only 63 students in the first year. It used borrowed and rented premises, first in the Cathedral Hall and St. Paul's Co-educational College on Hong Kong Island, and later on at No. 147 Caine Road and in the Bishop Hoare Memorial Building on Lower Albert Road. Expansion was made possible by financial help from North America through the United Board for Christian Higher Education in Asia and the Trustees of Lingnan University, and from Britain through the Asia Christian Colleges Association. Local churches, firms and private individuals also gave considerable support. In 1956 the College moved to its permanent site in the New Territories, in the beautiful Ma Liu Shui Valley. In 1963 the College was incorporated as one of the three founding colleges of The Chinese University of Hong Kong.